Sunday, June 7, 2009

Vive Roger

Well, I just have to pass on my excitement from the world of sports with all of you.  Federer has done it, finally, and all the tennis world breathes a sigh of relief.  He has tied Sampras and won all four majors.  He is now, arguably, the greatest tennis player ever.  Only Rod Laver won all four grand slam titles in a single season.  And Agassi is the last to have won all four at all. Before him, you have to go back to the 60's to Emerson and Laver to find this accomplishment again.  So he has won 14, and has done something that Sampras never did, winning all four.  He has finally won the French.  What will solidify his title as greatest ever?  For me, he has to defeat Nadal once more in a grand slam title.  You can't be the greatest ever if you can't be the greatest in your own time. He needs to win at least one more, and he needs to do it against Nadal.  Then I would be content.  

And yes, the U.S. defeated Honduras 2-1 after the humiliating 3-1 loss vs. Costa Rica.  I have many issues with our team, but at least we can now say that twice we have come from behind -- against El Salvador and now against Honduras -- proving that we have heart and the capacity to score when needed.  Now how about having a defense.  

I know, you all care about basketball or baseball.  I could care less.  So I'm passing on my joy coming from two of my favorite sports and two of the greatest sports to watch.  

Nice going Roger.  Now let's go win the World Cup!  (yeah right) 

Nathan O'Halloran, SJ

No comments: