Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ellen Page

Mason passed this interview with Ellen Page from the movie Juno on to me this morning. The full text is here. I found this to be the most interesting, and saddest, part:
Is "Juno" a pro-life movie?

Not in the slightest, and if you knew me and if you knew the writer and the director, no one would ever say that. It happens to be a film about a girl who has a baby and gives it to a yuppie couple. That's what the movie's about. Like, I'm really sorry to everyone that she doesn't have an abortion, but that's not what the film is about. She goes to an abortion clinic and she completely examines all the opportunities and all the choices allowed her and that's obviously the most crucial thing. It's as simple as that.

I call myself a feminist when people ask me if I am, and of course I am 'cause it's about equality, so I hope everyone is. You know you're working in a patriarchal society when the word feminist has a weird connotation. "Hippie" has a weird connotation. "Liberal" has a weird connotation.

How sad. She's obviously missing what being pro-life is all about, but maybe we can't blame her. The pro-life movement hasn't done such a good job of framing this issue in a way that doesn't smack of old fashioned conservatism or rural Kansas values or patriarchal feudalism. That at least is the impression that Ellen Page has.

Markel, SJ

No comments: